Year by Year
1811 Claridon SettledAugust - The Cowles family arrived in August 1811 and stayed in an unoccupied school house in Burton Township until a double log cabin was erected on Aquilla Road, a short distance south of Rt. 322. Other families arrived--Horace Taylor, Nathaniel Spencer, Allyn Humphrey, and Benjamin Andrews. All of these families were from Connecticut. The inhabitants during the winter of 1811 numbered 39.
1817 First FamiliesThe township was incorporated as Burlington and included Munson. Families that included Mastick, Hathaway, Armstrong, Ames, Ford, Ensign, and Chace began moving into what became known as East Claridon.
Local Government Established On the first Monday of April, the same year, the election for township officers was held at the house of Deacon A. Kellogg, and resulted in the election of Ralph Cowles, as township clerk; Asa Cowles, Allen Humphrey, and Reuben Hall, trustees: Horace Taylor an Timothy Wells, overseers of the poor; Benjamin Andrews and Aranda Kellogg, fence viewers; Truman Pitkin, lister and appraiser; Isaac Hoff, John Ransom, Martin Bushnell, Ozi Blakeslee, Ebenezer Wells, Simon Root, and Samuel Hopson, supervisors; Ozi Blakeslee, justice of the peace.
1819 Post Office Established, The Name 'Claridon' Established A post office was established under the name 'Claridon'. The name of the township was changed to Claridon (the origin of the name is not known) because there was another Burlington in the state of Ohio.
1827 Our First ChurchThe First Congregational Church of Claridon was established.
1832 Church Building DedicatedThe First Congregational Church building was dedicated. It is currently on the National Register of Historic Places. 1833 - 1951 is still a work in progress :) The below exerpts from 1952 through 2022 were submitted by Mr. Bart Blackburn. Mr. Blackburn is part of the Claridon History Group. Thank you Mr. Blackburn! 1952 Claridon Issues First Zoning Permit A zoning certificate for a sign was given. (More info and a picture yet to come) 1953 Fire at the Claridon School On Friday, January 16, a fire broke out in Claridon Local School. The fire, caused by a burning chimney, was in the walls. The school was evacuated and the fire extinguished. While some classrooms were still usable, the rest of the school was rebuilt and opened in the fall of the same year. 1955 First Congregational Church Lifted The church building was lifted from its foundation and a basement excavated underneath it. 1959 Geauga Hospital Opens Geauga Coummunity Hospital opened. Throughout the next 40 years, the Geauga Hospital opened two new wings accommodating more than 100 patients and enhanced diagnostic, ancillary, and support services, as well as a critical care unit. Early 1960s Rural Uprising! In the early 60s, a proposal to industrialize Claridon was vigourously opposed by Claridon residents fearing loss of their property and rural way of life. Leading the opposition was lawyer and Claridon resident, Eber Hyde. Victory for those that opposed the industrialization effort. 1966 Church Sanctuary Rebuilt The sanctuary of the First Congregational Church was rebuilt. 1974 A Historic Place The First Congregational Church building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as an excellent example of Greek Revival style Architecture. 1977 Claridon Gets a Park! In August of 1975, Claridon trustees formed a park committee made up of a group of dedicated Claridonites seeking to provide a community recreational area for citizens of the township. In 1977, initial land was purchased on SR 608 across from Stilwell road. 1979 Baseball in Claridon! The first baseball game was played at Claridon Recreation Park. Today, the park offers four (4) ball fields and is home to several leauges, including an Amish leauge. Click here to go to the park page on this website. 1986 A Whole Lot of Shaking Going On Just before 11:47 a.m. on January 31, a 4.96, commonly rounded up to a 5.0, magnitude earthquake shook up the town. The center of the quake happened about 24 miles east of Cleveland in Southern Lake County, just north of the Geauga County line. The earthquake was felt over a large area including 11 states, parts of Canada and the District of Columbia. 1995 Hospital Happenings The Geauga Hospital joined the University Hospitals Health System. The hospital was renamed the UH Geauga Medical Center. This new membership opened the doors to medical excellence in and around Geauga county with the addititons of the area's first behavioral health unity, a $7.4 million outpatient surgery center, on-site MRI services, Center for Women's Health, a cardiac catherterization lab, and more. During this time, UH Geauga Medical Center earned a number of accolades such as selection as one of the Top 100 Hospitals by HCIA Inc. and William Mercer Inc and as one of the nation's Top 100 Hospitals by the Solucient Institute. 2005 Claridon Elementary School Closed June - The Claridon Elementary School was closed. The school building and property were auctioned on February 18, 2006 to Howard Bates of Burton. The building and grounds now house the offices of Arms Trucking and is the Geauga County Sheriff's Headquarters for the Police Athletic Leauge. 2009 Community Help A gourp of Claridonites came together to see how they could help a neighbor in need. Claridon Community Helps was formed. Today, CCH serves free summer lunches to school age children, host a free dinner on the third Tuesday of each month, orginizes community events and much more. Click here to visit their website. 2010 Population Increase As of the 2010 census, the population of Claridon grew to 3,205. 2018 Claridon Gets Another Park The Geauga Park District opened a 127 acre park on Claridon Troy road. The park host wetlands, meadows, mature beeches and sugar maples, 2.2 miles of hiking trails, two ponds, 4,230 feet of Cuyahoga River tributaries, a fishing pier, a lodge, a picnic pavilion and a nature-based playground which includes a muli-sided rock wall, pump track and a high ropes course. The park ties into the 20-mile Maple Highlands bicycle trail. 2019 Small Tornado Narrowly Misses Claridon June 13 - An isolated, brief EF-0 tornado touched down in rural Geauga County causing minor damge to structures and trees. The tornado touched down just north of the intersection of Chardon-Windsor and Princeton roads. It snapped tree limbs and did damage to a house as well as outbuildings as it moved east-northeat. The tornado continued on the ground for almost half a mile before lifitng. The estimated maximum winds werer up to 84 mph. This tornado just missed Claridon. There have been no recorded tornado touchdowns in Claridon since 1950. 2022 Aquilla Village Says Goodbye To Claridon Aqulla Village gained full separation from the township to become a fully separte and independent municipality. The County Commission granted the request at their March 30 meeting. The mayor of Aquilla Village was Rich Wolfe. Aquilla and Claridon look forward to a strong, neighborly relationship for years to come.
They Made A Difference
The Claridon Town Hall
On June 13, 1941, citizens delegated from the Claridon Civic Club met with the trustees, requesting that they excavate and construct a basement under the hall for a kitchen and dining room. There were funds in the treasury to pay the cost of such a program, and contracts were awarded to Lewis McClintock, Robert Sidley, and Ralph Scovill. Trustees awarding these contracts were A.C. Stillwell, H.E. Krum, and J.J Baptie. The dining room was large enough to seat 110. As an extra precaution and to insure a supply of water in case of fire, eave spouts were placed on the hall to drain into a large nearby cistern.